Keeping the game a game

Ideas and suggestions for improvement of existing content or further game development go here.
Eddow
Site Admin
Ingame name:: Eddow
Sex: Male
Class: Arch-Warrior
Clan: Elysium

Re: Keeping the game a game

Post by Eddow » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Dealer wrote:I think explicit language should be allowed but, to keep it abiding the legal standards of PG-13, a language filter should be automatically on each new account. If the account is registered to somebody below age of 17 then this filter cannot be toggled. If a 13 year old creates and account that says he is 18, then legally they cannot hold Ugaris accountable because they falsified their account information before agreeing to accept Ugaris rules and conditions.

Ehh just my 2 cents.
Strengthen the language filter, make it give karma and minus experience instead of just a chat block? I like that idea... I don't think anyone else will however.

Fred
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Fred
Class: Seyan
Clan: The Prime Evils

Post by Fred » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:54 pm

Eddow wrote:
Dealer wrote:I think explicit language should be allowed but, to keep it abiding the legal standards of PG-13, a language filter should be automatically on each new account. If the account is registered to somebody below age of 17 then this filter cannot be toggled. If a 13 year old creates and account that says he is 18, then legally they cannot hold Ugaris accountable because they falsified their account information before agreeing to accept Ugaris rules and conditions.

Ehh just my 2 cents.
Strengthen the language filter, make it give karma and minus experience instead of just a chat block? I like that idea... I don't think anyone else will however.
You so funny

Let's try to keep it constructive?

Dealer
Demonslayer

Post by Dealer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:58 pm

I mean since this topic seems to stir so much debate why not do it how I think at least 1-2 other MMORPG's have done it.

When someone say "F*ck" it displays as "Fudge". "Sh*t" would display as "Ship". Those are just examples. Thoughts?

Even if someone was trying to say "F-U" to another player it would still come out funny and not serious. It would require doing it to every explicit word and the word list would have to be increased as players will find more obscure words.

Fred
Demonslayer

Post by Fred » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Dealer wrote:I mean since this topic seems to stir so much debate why not do it how I think at least 1-2 other MMORPG's have done it.

When someone say "F*ck" it displays as "Fudge". "Sh*t" would display as "Ship". Those are just examples. Thoughts?
Word replacement is silly & you find ways around it - I honestly don't see the problem when you add in
Includes online features that may expose players to unrated user-generated content (Macintosh, Windows PC)
I'm not saying that someone that swears in every sentence he writes shouldn't get punished, but if say one swear word in an entire week it shouldn't cause a big deal like it is now...

Freya
Advanced Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Freya
Sex: Female
Class: Mage

Post by Freya » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:32 pm

What it is now is.. if you curse you get a request not to. Only excessive, harrassing or abusive cursing will actually receieve punishment.
Human Relations Manager

Bloodknight
Has killed many golems
Ingame name:: bloodknight
Class: Arch-Seyan

Post by Bloodknight » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:26 pm

Ive never ever seen why this is a real issue, you filter the text inline then punish people who deliberately bypass the filter heavily, its fairly simple, those who persistently want to validate and justify constant cussing are not accepted in common society anyway.

That being said, as was ishtars view in the past should also be considered, and that if you want to use language used in pre-watershed TV the that should be allowed as long as its not excessive, and people who want to cuss like its game of thrones need to learn restraint.

Exekiel
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Evivy
Sex: Female
Clan: Poison

Post by Exekiel » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:37 am

Its a game, not a 5 year olds tv program, and user generated content isn't put on the back of the game in any system. You can cuss at 5 year olds if you want and the individual cussing is the only one responsible, not the game.

That said, punish those being assholes. Those joking around, having fun, playing a game they enjoy shouldn't be told what to do or to stop doing something. That is ridiculous and takes so much fun out of it. "Grow up, have high standards, exercise restraint" What is this, a british tea brunch amongst upper class douchebags? Because that is how you are treating it. You want to toss up a simple language filter, it is easy. The code already exists, you just add a character replacement instead of a 30 second chat block (like the all caps chat block that, when being nice/funny has fucked me up in IAC and Jobby).

I mean, punishment itself is whatever. Its annoying sure, but what really bothers me is the babysitting staffers. I mean, picture this:

You are sitting on a fun game with old friends, laughing, crying, making jokes, then somebody comes in and says "STOP NOW OR YOU GET PUNISHED" upset that somebody is ruining the fun you say a few things back and BOOM banned. In ow I got banned for arguing that MS was overrated, I presented a solid mathematical case for it too, and after presented I got banned. I got banned in another case because I couldn't find my way out of mines when I was new and kept asking for help. I got 4 karma for having a small conversation with the little spanish I know on gossip. It was insane. Every time I tried playing the game eventually all the money I put in and the time became pointless because the staff was full of powerhungry assholes that were intent on making sure you had as little fun as you possibly could. They didn't just babysit, they monitored everything everybody did and would banhammer anybody who deviated even slightly, anyone who accidentally mischannelled more than once, anybody who did this or that. If you are telling me that wasn't a big part of OWs death you are wrong.

I'm asking you, begging you not to set this game on fire and flush it down the toilet. Just have it so "behavior that is upsetting many game members gets staff involved, harassment, scamming others, spamming gets punished, but otherwise staff leave players alone and let them enjoy the game".

I really hate feeling like I have to make sure no staff is on to play and I'm sure others feel the same way.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

platinum
Freelance Dragonkiller
Ingame name:: Platinum

Post by platinum » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm pretty sure everyone on ugaris is an adult. (well, atleast older than 18). is there really a need to drop F bombs and such? honestly, you guys are sitting here bickering with the management about the rights to cuss when instead, we could be focusing on important matters.
The Team, The Team, The Team. -Bo Schembechler

Fred
Demonslayer

Post by Fred » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:15 pm

This is important. Seems like we all agree that heavy swearing is not done, but we're divided about using swear words as jokes or to just have some fun.

Which is a generation thing too, new young people accept swearing whereas old people got taught to not swear so they dislike it.
What we have here is a debate if we want the game to attract new people that will be able to express themself or if we want a game for the more older gaming generation

platinum
Freelance Dragonkiller
Ingame name:: Platinum

Post by platinum » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Fred wrote:or if we want a game for the more older gaming generation
i prefer us older generation. (i'm only 25) nothing worse than arguing with a 12 year old who's more of a noob.
The Team, The Team, The Team. -Bo Schembechler