Hardcore and max bases

Ideas and suggestions for improvement of existing content or further game development go here.
Timber
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Timber
Sex: Male
Class: Arch-Seyan

Hardcore and max bases

Post by Timber » Thu May 29, 2014 12:46 am

Wondering what your plans are about this. I've always felt like HC was a ridiculous thing. New players will start SC chars, and end up being level 90 and useless. I don't mind people going HC and have advantages, but not in such a way that it makes everyone else useless past a certain point. Rather see an exp boost or something along those lines.

Also max bases generally mess with the game balance. I don't see a reasonable point why PTM and all that should be kept in the game. Warriors are only good when people hit max bases, but if you buff warriors, they'll become invincible at level 92-108.

Zak
Demonslayer
Class: Mage

Re: Hardcore and max bases

Post by Zak » Thu May 29, 2014 3:55 am

I agree completely. Personally I think Hc should still get the exp bonus, and possibly some other small bonus, but I've always disagreed with the stat bonus. There are so many varying play styles that it's just not practical. It's OP.

As for max bases...I think that the idea with labs and arching and pre arch max bases needs to be continued further in the game. There should be a quest for a lot more things, rather than just needing a certain level, you'd need the level and the quest. This would tie in nicely with the re-arching concept.

Timber
Demonslayer

Post by Timber » Thu May 29, 2014 1:41 pm

NW has it solved nicely by limiting bases before you sir as well. Given the tools we have avaliable, it's possible to create more areas as well with more "gatekeepers".

HC currently gets 10% to kill exp, which is nothing. I could imagine something like 40% more exp from gov missions or something along those lines. Needs to be significant enough for people to actually play HC, and still not make it supereasy to level from 1-50.

Exekiel
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Evivy
Sex: Female
Clan: Poison

Post by Exekiel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:05 am

I certainly see the issue here. I'd personally like to see up to like 4 GK style upgrades through the game, giving up to like 150 max base for ALL characters at very, very, very high levels or something, maybe increase max eq after each jump too.

Maybe a 15-20% kill exp bonus or a 5-10% pent exp bonus. Something to make it worth facing all those negs and lost gear.

Honestly I don't even like the idea of max bases the way it is implimented. If you don't have good eq, you end up getting stuck not being able to go further without maxing out like ALL of your stats. It gets kind of annoying how overly hard it can be for new players who haven't built up their EQ base yet
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Fred
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Fred
Class: Seyan
Clan: The Prime Evils

Post by Fred » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:26 am

I disagree, Hardcore getting an experience boost does not outway not having saves.
Softcore characters now get a massive exp boost from LOE shrines & have security shrines. Add in the factor that they are protected from dying vs a sudden lagg spike or just a dumb move from you or someone else.

Removing the stat bonus from Hardcore will drive everyone into Softcore characters and for good reason, people rather play slow & safe, than fast & die.
Hardcore should have an advantage over Softcore and it shouldn't be "you get to max lvl faster IF you don't die"

Exekiel
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Evivy
Sex: Female
Clan: Poison

Post by Exekiel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:45 am

Fred, you raise good points. I change my position. Perhaps the gap could be narrowed slightly though, Timber makes it sound like it is a huge issue. I maxed out bases on an SC once and felt pretty week, I'm not sure how big of a difference it really makes in the end. I think perhaps lowering the PTM substantially instead might be a better way of equalizing without taking away the HC benefits, but also not making the high levels super-unbalanced.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Fred
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Fred
Class: Seyan
Clan: The Prime Evils

Post by Fred » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Yea I'm not against making the gap smaller, but there has to be a gap between HC & SC

Timber
Demonslayer

Post by Timber » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:32 pm

Exekiel wrote:Fred, you raise good points. I change my position. Perhaps the gap could be narrowed slightly though, Timber makes it sound like it is a huge issue. I maxed out bases on an SC once and felt pretty week, I'm not sure how big of a difference it really makes in the end. I think perhaps lowering the PTM substantially instead might be a better way of equalizing without taking away the HC benefits, but also not making the high levels super-unbalanced.
SC are absolutely useless in any spawn above 84. They have massive massive disadvantages to HC in pents as well. Penting 118s on SC is extremely hard, and takes very long as well.

I would prefer HC being removed all together, but if you increase the exp bonus enough, people who want to level to 200, will get a big enough advantage from it. If you increase gov exp by say 100%, it would pretty much reduce the time to level from 100-200 by half. That's pretty significant.

You can of course change the bonus to whatever. Reduce saves to 1 instead of 10? Make gear add another +1 to everything?

HC is bad because all new players will play SC, enjoy the game, level to 80-90, figure out that SCs are useless, and that they have to replay the game all over again. It happened to me, and I'm sure it happened to others. We also cannot balance quests above level 90 for both SC and HC.

Sealav
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Sealav

Post by Sealav » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:14 pm

It would be nice since it's a high risk char.

Dealer
Demonslayer

Post by Dealer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:31 pm

I think there is a way to make people play HC without experience, pent, or stat bonuses. It just has to be thought of first. Something unique. If you truly want to hold the hardcore title, don't expect to get handed exp or stat bonuses. Perhaps they can have a unique feature instead. I'll think.

I feel a HC at 90 should not be instantly stronger no matter what than a 90 SC. That is ridiculous. Why, just because they got 90 levels while being HC? That's what being hardcore is.
Last edited by Dealer on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.