Swamps Expansion

Ideas and suggestions for improvement of existing content or further game development go here.
Exekiel
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Evivy
Sex: Female
Class: Arch-Seyan
Clan: Poison

Re: Swamps Expansion

Post by Exekiel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:12 am

Damnit guys, your enthusiasm made me work on it, now I'm late to getting drunk. I guess, better late than never. I think you will like what I've come up with so far (I'm making an paint pixel x pixel map like on encyclopediaastonica as a template, and writing new quests and stories to fit it). Got about 1/6 of the pseudo map done so far and 5 new quest ideas/changes. I fill in depth, complexity and storyline, and add a 2 strongly related side quests, and add a lot more to do.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Exekiel
Demonslayer

Post by Exekiel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:59 am

phj gpd O
, sp driml O amt evem s[e;; wpr[ds srogtj!!! Gdo this is going to be agood wquestosnter justuseeman ts awseom e * can hardly stan up tsraint

Freya
Advanced Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Freya
Class: Mage
Clan: Elysium

Post by Freya » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:10 am

I have a feeling this is going to be a very interesting map, looking forward to seeing it! :D
Human Relations Manager

platinum
Freelance Dragonkiller
Ingame name:: Platinum
Sex: Male
Clan: Elysium

Post by platinum » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Exekiel wrote:phj gpd O
, sp driml O amt evem s[e;; wpr[ds srogtj!!! Gdo this is going to be agood wquestosnter justuseeman ts awseom e * can hardly stan up tsraint
ahh yes, good ole drunk texting! :character-beavisbutthead:
The Team, The Team, The Team. -Bo Schembechler

Dealer
Demonslayer

Post by Dealer » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:51 pm

Exekiel wrote:phj gpd O
Map will be 10/10. :angelic-green:

Exekiel
Demonslayer

Post by Exekiel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:46 pm

I haven't the faintest idea what that says.

Exekiel
Demonslayer

Post by Exekiel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Alright. Here we go!!!

Legend:
Red = swamp beast
Slightly pinkish red = swamp king (north)
orange = swamp beast with special heart
dark grey = path
light grey = wall you can walk through
light pink = door
light brown = ground that can be walked on/which is risen.
purple = tentacle
magenta = baby tentacle monster
black = wall
blue = shopkeeper
green = quest giver
really dark green = table/podium
yellowish orange = Swamp Beast Priest
light blue = Clan Spawner Door
blueish grey = hidden path, with a few dead trees around it to show where it goes.
dark dark grey = large rock
light blueish grey = body of traitor with agreement
giant magenta splosh = tentacle monster surrounded by tentacles coming out of the ground
Brown = chest
dark blue = readable book either on table or in bookshelf
blue = bookshelves

The swamp used to be farmland that supported the major cities. There was a great swamp to the Northeast that was simply unpassible. When Islena rose, she allied the great tentacle monster and the swamp beasts that worship the great tentacle monster. The swamp beasts invaded, drove the farmers out of their homes, took over the church, took over the base, and sent their swamp priests into the holy circles, where they used the power to sink the land into swamp. Large trees keep the swamp slightly dark even during the day, and block the view of other paths from the one you are on now, and block routes between them.

So you first enter swamps into a small area with 2 shop keepers (Frits and Ferdinand) behind counters in shops, a woman (Helena) who asks you to retrieve her wedding dress from her farm manor, since her landowner husband was killed and she has decided to remarry Ferdinand, one of the men who was a farmer on their land. There is also a crazed bearded man who warns you of the dire horrors that lie ahead, rambling about some tentacled monster as though he is crazy (implying that no such thing could actually exist).

If you go up in the map, you reach a small outpost with 2 guards out front, which fight and kill 2 swamp beasts that spawn here. Inside is Clara, Arthur, Antwerp. Clara tells you of the dire situation, that the fort has been taken by swamp beasts, and you must go there to find research on the swamp beasts and what must be done to rescue the dire situation. Arthur tells you about "reclamation efforts" to turn the swamp back into farmland. He says first you need to find out why the land sunk into a swamp, which has prevented his reclamation efforts. Once you find out it is because of the priests in the circles, he says you need to kill them all before his spell to raise the land can work. He says that the spell to reclaim land requires 100 hearts of swamp beasts (orange dots on map), and that he will reward you military rank, experience, and 400g for accomplishing this task.

Antwerp tells you that the swamp beasts had a bizarre obsession with the church to the bottom left of the map, and requests you check it out.

In the fort to the north, you find many swamp beasts and surprisingly, tentacles inside (swamp_arm in the code). There is a library towards the center of the building where you read that the swamp beasts seem to have some organization, and that the forward patrol into the swamp discovered peculiar organization within the beasts, and states that their diaries can be found in the barracks up the road to the north east.

The administrative building just outside the fort has information talks about the farmers worship circles, their locations. Basically, the farmers just worshipped in the circles to the god of the harvest. The barracks hold records that talk of swamp priests, and that the one they killed made their weapon glow with an unholy aura. The second report says that tentacles were seen more and more often, and that the beasts appeared to pay some kind of reverence similar to worship to the tentacles, but dismisses complex cognitive behavior in mere beasts as within his imagination. The third said that they had to turn back when they were ambushed by an especially large beast with a massive green spiked ring resembling a crown on his head, which the other beasts followed. This one says that their weapons were melted on contact with the large beast, as though they needed some kind of protection.

You return to Clara, who and she says that you should check out the church library to see if it has any information on protection to keep your weapon intact when facing the king, who is presumed the leader of the invasion. In the library you find 2 swamp preists leading a sermon in some unspeakable language. The beasts are like swamp beasts, but with magic which can "freeze" without the blue effect (so it is like swamp slow) and red lf, behind the podium where the preist speaks, there are 3 tentacles flailing about freely. The church library, in addition to telling you that holy protection can protect weapons, contains a few books in un-readable language which you take.

Clara says you should work on making your weapon holy by killing swam preists in the holy circles, and recommends you take the books to Antwerp. Antwerp says he will need 10 swamp beast hearts to be able to translate the books. Once you bring him the hearts, he tells you that they are the holy books of the swamp beasts, and that they worship some kind of being related to the tentacles, and that he worries deeply about the potential of such a godlike monster, because a second book says that the god has had children.

You need at least 4 circles of holy (granted by killing a swamp preist, each one unique so you have to kill all 10 (extra 2 behind church, 2 in church)) to damage any tentacle baby, all 10 to damage the god itself. The swamp king is in the north east (slightly pinkish red at dead end) who takes 3 circles to kill. Clara demands you kill the swamp king. Once you return, she says to you with great fear that the beasts may be unorganized, but they are still powerful. She says she consulted Antwerp and that you must kill the tentacle god in order to bring peace to the swamp, but warns that the god is enormously powerful and will take several heroes to kill.

Killing the tentacle god gets you a reward of a quest item tri-stat cape that is req lvl 33, and matches your class/specialization, and allows you to walk through the swamp without damage or slowdown like the beasts do.

There is 1 dead end path that could eventually lead to the great swamp of the east, full of adult tentacle monsters, swamp beast society, etc. The path that goes to the edge of the top of the map is the exk forest entrance. There are 6 CJ spawner entrances here.

The swamp beasts raise gradually in level as you go further west/north, just like before.

Ruby is the ruby colored dot near the entrance.

The big house is the manor, there are 3 small farm houses, 2 shacks total, and the church.

NOTE: YOU MAY HAVE TO ZOOM IN A LOT FOR THE IMAGE.
Last edited by Exekiel on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exekiel
Demonslayer

Post by Exekiel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Facebook messed up some of the colorings. Anybody got a place I can toss the map pic? About 1/3rd of the purple dots in the northern part of the amp are tentacle babies.

Fred
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Fred
Class: Seyan
Clan: The Prime Evils

Post by Fred » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:34 pm

Looks awesome, I just have one request, Don't use "Antwerp" as a npc name :D

Exekiel
Demonslayer

Post by Exekiel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:52 pm

I don't care about names, that was a last minute thought. I figured they would all be changed anyways.

I always thought it odd that the swamp was basically an algal lake. Swamps have dense trees. It would be optimal if during the day it was just light enough to light the main paths, everything else quite dark to total darkness.