General Comment on Balance

Ideas and suggestions for improvement of existing content or further game development go here.
Exekiel
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Evivy
Sex: Female
Class: Arch-Seyan
Clan: Poison

General Comment on Balance

Post by Exekiel » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:24 pm

So we want to keep the game balanced right?

How does gold skull taking only 2-3 passes in z3 destroy balance? Or not having to take twice as long to get orange crystals for EU as it does to actually do the EU section? I mean, easy is "oh, I killed 20 zombies and got a gold, hazoo" reasonable is "I striked it twice and got one, yay, it took 45 minutes but it was worth it" "I've been at this for 3 hours and nothing" isn't "easy" and very much isn't "too easy" you aren't threatening balance by making the game more fun, it isn't a huge advantage, striking twice for a gs is about as long as you would expect it to take considering Ruby's other favors and how much they pay out.

I'm not whining or bitching here, just offering a perspective on the game as a player and what is/isn't fun.

Also a note on probability: The more extreme the probability, the more extreme the bell curve. So is probability is one half, there is about a 25% chance it will take you 4 tries to get.

But then step that out to something like a gold skull. There you are talking about like 1 in 200 chance (I'm guessing, I don't know what you ended up going with). Then there is about a 25% chance it will take you 800 skulls to get and a 25% chance you will get it in 50. It seems like you are planning around "oh no, we can't have any chance it takes fewer than __ to get" and as a result, you push it so that about half the time it takes somebody an absurdly long time.

If you want to make the grouping of probabilities closer, you have to stop using a purely random number and random cases. I could write code segments that change the probability distribution to be more clustered around a point of your choosing, but y'all have made it pretty clear that you don't give a shit, so I don't think I'll bother.
Last edited by Exekiel on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Eddow
Site Admin
Ingame name:: Eddow
Sex: Male
Class: Arch-Warrior
Clan: Elysium

Re: General Comment on Balance

Post by Eddow » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:36 pm

General rule of thumb: If it is not fun, don't do it.

Ruby is a SIDE QUEST, meaning Optional and not required. If you do not like the difficulty of a side quest, simply skip it and continue with the game. It is not stopping you from leveling or continuing in any way.

Exekiel
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Evivy
Sex: Female
Class: Arch-Seyan
Clan: Poison

Post by Exekiel » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:37 pm

I thought I made it pretty clear I wasn't bitching. What I was doing is pointing out that it is a poorly implimented side quest that can be improved, and that the probability distribution problem is huge across many parts of the game code and could be improved.

But just like I said, nobody is going to write that code because you think its stupid and that only people who have fun killing lvl 15 zombies for 6 hour straight should do it.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Fred
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Fred
Class: Seyan
Clan: The Prime Evils

Post by Fred » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Side quest that is EVERYONE's BEST ITEM except for tyrion who has an LMI item, but that's one person!

Dealer
Demonslayer

Post by Dealer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:52 am

I pretty much agree somewhat w/ you Exekiel. I think the gold skull rate is currently shit.

Your either lucky and get it on your first 5 skulls or your unlucky and it takes you over 1 hour.

Would be nice if these "side-quests" as eddow mentioned were more mini-game style, or a bit more interesting and fast paced.

Maybe the Z3 could be setup to have like instead of 1 zombie around every corner, it could be 4 and they are all weaker in strength but could make the illusion of a faster paced "side quest"? Then the drop rate shouldn't be such an issue as well as your killing more zombies.

Valadez
Has killed many golems
Class: Arch-Mage

Post by Valadez » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:05 am

What were the rates changed to here for silver and gold skulls? I noticed in the change log that the rates have been adjusted.

I'm actually currently trying to get the rates changed on A3Res because I also agree. They are appalling. Apparently even Ishtar thought so.
http://oldworlddev.com/threads/zombie-s ... hance.103/

Dealer
Demonslayer

Post by Dealer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:09 am

Valadez wrote:What were the rates changed to here for silver and gold skulls? I noticed in the change log that the rates have been adjusted.

I'm actually currently trying to get the rates changed on A3Res because I also agree. They are appalling. Apparently even Ishtar thought so.
http://oldworlddev.com/threads/zombie-s ... hance.103/
Advertising A3res?

Valadez
Has killed many golems

Post by Valadez » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:21 am

Seriously?
I'm linking to a topic discussing the same thing being discussed here. That's all.

Dealer
Demonslayer

Post by Dealer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:22 am

You said you are trying to get it changed on A3res, just kind of interesting. I mean it's cool and all if your undecided between the two servers but upon release we will blow them out of the water.

Valadez
Has killed many golems

Post by Valadez » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:27 am

Yea, not to advertise, I was just discussing it. That's all, not to compete, not to advertise, none of that. Can we not turn this into a Ugaris vs A3res thing please? There's been enough of that as it is.