Keeping the game a game

Ideas and suggestions for improvement of existing content or further game development go here.
Exekiel
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Evivy
Sex: Female
Class: Arch-Seyan
Clan: Poison

Keeping the game a game

Post by Exekiel » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:14 pm

So I've noticed a familiar uptick in rules, staffers and enforcement as of late and I have to suggest we cut it out ASAP. Nobody likes being babysat, and so long as people aren't attacking eachother strong policing of in game behavior creates an environment that is catagorically opposed to fun. Hundreds of people were banned and driven from OW due to the excessive staff actions and such and when you make the game like that you lose the fun element. It really becomes a beaurocracy focused on addiction to the game, instead of a genuine enjoyable experience.

In my opinion, the staff should only be there to stop arguments/conflicts that threaten the funness of the game, to prevent cheating, to run events to make it more fun, NOT to babysit people and enforce pointless rules. I'm of the opinion that a lot of the rules should be toned way back, mischannelling shouldn't be a punishable offense or something you get warned for unless it is causing those who need to use the channel to miss out on its proper use. Swearing shouldn't be punishable unless it is directed at somebody maliciously, and staff shouldn't babysit.

I think making the staff like OW staff is one of the quickest ways to ensure Ugaris will fail.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

platinum
Freelance Dragonkiller
Ingame name:: Platinum
Sex: Male
Clan: Elysium

Re: Keeping the game a game

Post by platinum » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Exekiel wrote:So I've noticed a familiar uptick in rules, staffers and enforcement as of late and I have to suggest we cut it out ASAP. Nobody likes being babysat, and so long as people aren't attacking eachother strong policing of in game behavior creates an environment that is catagorically opposed to fun. Hundreds of people were banned and driven from OW due to the excessive staff actions and such and when you make the game like that you lose the fun element. It really becomes a beaurocracy focused on addiction to the game, instead of a genuine enjoyable experience.

In my opinion, the staff should only be there to stop arguments/conflicts that threaten the funness of the game, to prevent cheating, to run events to make it more fun, NOT to babysit people and enforce pointless rules. I'm of the opinion that a lot of the rules should be toned way back, mischannelling shouldn't be a punishable offense or something you get warned for unless it is causing those who need to use the channel to miss out on its proper use. Swearing shouldn't be punishable unless it is directed at somebody maliciously, and staff shouldn't babysit.

I think making the staff like OW staff is one of the quickest ways to ensure Ugaris will fail.
there's one way to piss off the boss.
The Team, The Team, The Team. -Bo Schembechler

Timber
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Timber

Post by Timber » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Agreed. Should rather add a profanity filter rather than punish for it.

Ryff
Freelance Dragonkiller

Post by Ryff » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:53 pm

you can easily get around the profanity filter

Exekiel
Demonslayer

Post by Exekiel » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:33 pm

Games are meant to have fun. To the people playing, it isn't a business, it isn't a model UN club, it isn't practice for work. It is a game to unwind and relax.

turning the chat block for cussing into a replace with **** would be trivial, and telling staffers not to babysit but to mediate would do wonders for the game. I can guarantee you that if we go down the path of no-fun in game we will alienate all but the hardcore addicts. It happened before, and the mistakes of the past are not ones we should purposely repeat. It doesn't make the game more reputable, it doesn't make it better, it makes it less fun.

And yes, getting around the filter is easy, but its not like people are going to put serious effort into doing so and its not like it would matter if they did. Nobody is going to shit themselves and stop playing because somebody said a dirty word. Online interactions aren't rated by the ESRB to begin with, and no mainstream game nanny's, because if they did, they will destroy the popularity of the game.

Fred
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Fred
Class: Seyan
Clan: The Prime Evils

Post by Fred » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:10 am

I kinda agree, being told "this is a PG 13 game" for saying "the S word" in a joke where the joke was about the double meaning of "The S word"
We're living in 2014, not 1950...

Also the suggestion to replace "F word" with Fluff or other things reminds me of this:

Zak
Demonslayer
Class: Mage

Post by Zak » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:20 am

^^ lulz

Zak
Demonslayer

Post by Zak » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:20 am

^^ lulz

Exekiel
Demonslayer

Post by Exekiel » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:01 am

That is exactly the face that popped into my mind Fred. Couldn't have said it better.

Freya
Advanced Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Freya
Clan: Elysium

Post by Freya » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm

This is a legal matter. We are advocating a pg13, or teen, rating. This means only infrequent occurrences of strong language can be tolerated.
Parents have a right to try to avoid exposing their children to strong language, and we have an obligation to uphold the standards of the rating we choose to go for.
For yes, even if the ESRB have not rated us, we do rate ourselves.

Now can someone please explain to me why it's required to use strong/foul language in order to have fun?
Human Relations Manager