Keeping the game a game

Ideas and suggestions for improvement of existing content or further game development go here.
Timber
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Timber
Sex: Male
Class: Arch-Seyan

Re: Keeping the game a game

Post by Timber » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Its more about being able to speak freely without being afraid of getting punished because you said a wrong word. Its not about having to use foul language or swear, its about talking the way you talk and being punished for it.

Freya
Advanced Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Freya
Sex: Female
Class: Mage
Clan: Elysium

Post by Freya » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:21 pm

No one's going to get karma for saying a "wrong word", that would be a fault on the staffer's side.
Besides, you can talk however you want in private. But this game is not private, it is open for children. And that makes this a legal question, in which we are not entirely without limits unless we shut the game off to 17+ exclusively, or even higher. Now that is not something we want.
Human Relations Manager

Fred
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Fred
Class: Seyan
Clan: The Prime Evils

Post by Fred » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:23 pm

Freya wrote:This is a legal matter. We are advocating a pg13, or teen, rating. This means only infrequent occurrences of strong language can be tolerated.
Parents have a right to try to avoid exposing their children to strong language, and we have an obligation to uphold the standards of the rating we choose to go for.
For yes, even if the ESRB have not rated us, we do rate ourselves.

Now can someone please explain to me why it's required to use strong/foul language in order to have fun?
Some jokes revolve around foul language.
Foul language can also be used to express yourself better than when you have to stick to "children approved words".

Calling up this legal Blue Square (see what I did there?) is like being in the army, do as we tell you & not a thing more or less...
I've already said this, if you want a good game, you need a good community and if you want a good community, you can't have a thight leash on it

Exekiel
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Evivy
Clan: Poison

Post by Exekiel » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Yea that is a load of bull. No kid who wasn't around 10 years ago is going to play this game. It is too low tech. The point is to keep it fun. You have staffers babysitting us constantly and it sucks ass just like the old game did. Not to mention you are taking it way to seriously, it is a game. If you don't make it fun and let people have fun nobody will play, and it really isn't a legal question. 8 year olds play wow and there is plentiful swearing and sexual innuendo, because online interactions aren't rated, period, not just for you, for anybody. The ESRB doesn't rate online interactions, period. of anybody, ever. Because you can't control players and doing so would kill multiplayer gaming industry.

You would only get in trouble if NPCs were cussing at new characters, which isn't happening.

Just relax, and have fun with it. This isn't Eve online, it is a game. Your attitude is that you are running an important business. And you are. But if you get too serious you will kill it.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Exekiel
Demonslayer

Post by Exekiel » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:12 pm

So we just ignoring the fact that there is no potential for legal trouble in order to keep the game less fun and popular or what?

Freya
Advanced Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Freya
Class: Mage
Clan: Elysium

Post by Freya » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:10 pm

I just double checked this with our attorney.
When we go for a rating, which we have, we are obliged to keep the game within the norm of that rating.
We have gone for teen, it will be proclaimed on our website in terms. The game inside will need to reflect that, including the players chat.

So fact remains, this is a legal issue. And we are not going to shut the game off from player below 17 just because some people have a strong desire to write down strong language in the public chats.
Human Relations Manager

Fred
Demonslayer
Ingame name:: Fred
Class: Seyan
Clan: The Prime Evils

Post by Fred » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Exekiel
Demonslayer

Post by Exekiel » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:25 am

Yea, Fred Nails it. That is a load of shit. You are just lookign for excuses to rebuild the old fascism. Hell, just leave the swear filter up like it is now, maybe add the racist words to it that are missing. Not rocket science.

Dealer
Demonslayer

Post by Dealer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:43 am

I think explicit language should be allowed but, to keep it abiding the legal standards of PG-13, a language filter should be automatically on each new account. If the account is registered to somebody below age of 17 then this filter cannot be toggled. If a 13 year old creates and account that says he is 18, then legally they cannot hold Ugaris accountable because they falsified their account information before agreeing to accept Ugaris rules and conditions.

Ehh just my 2 cents.

Ryff
Freelance Dragonkiller

Post by Ryff » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:06 am

What dealer said. Perfectly within the international online interaction laws.